A very good friend and I have decided to attend our first, big 2 day Grand tournament July 2nd, and 3rd. It’s in Hudson, MA, at the Elks lodge. It’s a $35 total entry fee (I guess $20 for entry to con and $15 for the tournament?) and it’s officially part of some big circuit, with prize support from GW. I beleive 1st prize is airfare to next year’s adepticon, plus a full 2000 pt army (list chosen by the winner, no forge world), as well as, of course, a ticket to next year’s Boston Brawlcon.
The folks running this GT, Battle Road Games, have a post on their forums that should be considered the main source of info, here.
I will rule Boston Brawlcon, with an admantium, shiny Grey fist!
Well, that bravado helps me get my game face on…..truth is this is my first “Grand Tournament” and I while I think I’m smart, think I’m all tactical and stuff, for all I know, I’ll get eaten like, like a guppy in very large pond.
Or, I’m a shark. I feel like a shark, anyway.
I’ve attached the mission packet here, with the Tournament Organizer’s permission, and for my own planning purposes, I thought it would helpful to figure what battle points are available where and for what objectives. This is sort of my founding post for a few posts to follow, my “road to Boston Brawlcon”. I figure totaling things up like this will help me decide how many troops I need, how to optimize my Kill Points, etc.
- Objectives: 35 pts (one objective has secondary to control your objectives, tertiary to control theirs)
- Kill pts: 34 (sometimes with special conditions, kill at least half your opponents kill pts, beat kill pts by 3 or more or draw)
- Victory pts: 20 pts ( > 186 victory pts. Less is a draw)
- Table Quarters: 6 pts (always tertiary)
- Preserve Troops: 5pts. Just a secondary in one mission. If you eliminate their troops, but still have some, you win. Both have some, draw, neither have any, dual loss.
Here’s the painting scale, pretty standard around these parts. I like this system, actually. I need to ask the organizer, with two judges, is that 20 pts total for painting, or 40? 20pts would be equal to one game, which seems about right, 40 pts would make painting rather….dominant. EDIT, 6/14/11 Spoke to Alex, over at Battle Road Games. Apparently yes, two painting judges scores are averaged, with a total possible score of 20 (23 for the very best guy), so about equal to one game. Good balance, I think. Continue reading »